POSITION: MARKETING DIRECTOR or MANAGER, SUBSCRIPTIONS (title commensurate with experience)
The Marketing Director or Manager, Subscriptions, is a key position reporting to the Vice President of Patron Loyalty. Having just completed its 90th Anniversary Season, Tucson Symphony Orchestra is in the midst of an exciting transformation. TSO is investing in the professional team to lead the change needed in the classical music industry so that we can better serve our patrons and our art form. We’re not setting out to continue marketing and development in the traditional siloed approach; rather, we are implementing the Long Haul Model for audience development and hiring this position to double down on patron loyalty and focus on retention among single ticket buyers, subscribers, and donors. This position will lead this growth with respect to subscriptions.
We have a story to tell. We have deep impact. Momentum is building. We have extraordinary plans. We are seeking an innovative leader to drive the effort to increase the numbers of people we connect with and serve.
If you are a good writer, data-driven, marketing savvy, forward-thinking, and passionate about developing and retaining new arts audiences, we want to hear from you.
Core duties include:
- Oversee and execute Long Haul Model strategy and audience development plan for subscriptions. Responsible for $1-million revenue goal across all target segments and product lines (repeat single ticket buyers and new and renewing subscribers; for Classic, MasterWorks and SuperPops! Series; for full series, winter series and choose-your-own ticket packages).
- Set campaign timelines—ensuring campaigns are coordinated with other marketing and development efforts so that the right segments are getting the right communications and offers.
- Work with the VP of Patron Loyalty and other staff to set revenue goals and detailed expense budgets for subscriptions.
- Work with Patron Loyalty VP and Box Office Manager to review house map annually, make any adjustments to price map and set pricing for subscription campaign.
- Develop and manage brochure design, production and mailing schedule.
- Develop strategy and manage advertising for subscriptions.
- Manage outside telemarketing firm, including script development.
- Ensure website content and sales engine are written and designed to serve and attract the subscription customer.
Requirements to be successful:
- Superb writing skills.
- Relentlessly data-driven approach.
- Must be creative, autonomous, and have strong attention to detail and timelines.
- Excellent financial management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Additional qualifications (encouraged but not required):
- Marketing experience, preferably with an orchestra or other performing arts organization.
- Experience with ticketing platforms.
- Experience with graphic design and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in website development and design.
- Familiarity with arts marketing, particularly with regard to subscriptions.
- Broad knowledge of current marketing trends, especially digital and content marketing.
- Background in classical music or other performing arts discipline.
- This position is full-time, exempt
- Nationally competitive salary
- Benefits include paid time off, sick time, health insurance
This is an exciting time for Tucson Symphony Orchestra. The Board of Trustees is investing in our mission to engage, educate and transform. Recently the Board signed a three-year contract with our extraordinary professional musicians, extended our dynamic Music Director José Luis Gomez’s contract through 2024, and appointed veteran arts transition strategist Kathryn R Martin as Interim President & CEO—all making it possible to envision new ways to engage and impact our community.
TSO has an annual budget of $5.4M, an endowment of $3.4M, an engaged board of Trustees and community supporters, and a dedicated and creative professional staff. Marketing revenue is $2.3 million, $1.0 million of which come from 4,400 subscribers. Single ticket sales are 23% Classic, 22% pops, 7% MasterWorks (classical, in a smaller venue) and 48% specials.
We have a story to tell. We have deep impact. Momentum is building. We have extraordinary plans. We are seeking an innovative data-driven, marketing leader to drive the effort to increase the numbers and diversity of people we serve.
ABOUT TUCSON SYMPHONY
Now celebrating its 91st season, the Tucson Symphony Orchestra’s mission is to engage, educate and transform the community through live musical experiences of the highest quality, envisioning a community where music is the catalyst that brings people together across all boundaries for inspired living. Under the artistic leadership of Music Director, José Luis Gomez, the TSO impacts more than 120,000 lives each year, infuses millions into Southern Arizona’s economy annually, and attracts over 75 professional musicians from across the country to live, perform, and teach in Tucson and throughout the state. Programming, Engagement, Partnership and Learning are the TSO’s pillars. Its diverse offerings include the Classic, MasterWorks and Pops series, free Just for Kids concerts, a Free Community Concert and many special performances. TSO’s nationally-recognized education programs are present in 120 schools from Southern Pinal County to the Arizona–Mexico border reaching over 40,000 students each year. The TSO partners with a variety of regional organizations to deepen its engagement with the community. Maestro Gomez conducts orchestras all over the world, serving as Tucson’s cultural ambassador to audiences on every continent.
An Equal Opportunity Employer:
It is the policy of the Tucson Symphony to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, veteran status, marital status or any characteristic protected by federal, state, and local law. Candidates of ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab, and Native American) communities are encouraged to apply.
- Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- No phone call or email inquiries, please
POSITION: Marketing Director or Manager, Subscriptions (title commensurate with experience)
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Patron Loyalty
POSITION TYPE: Exempt
COMPENSATION: An annual salary commensurate with experience, abilities and responsibilities of the position.
HEALTH PLAN: 50% paid PPO or HDHP medical plan for employee; employee funded option for dental and vision coverage, and voluntary worksite benefits (Accident insurance, Cancer Assist, etc.)
VACATION: Two weeks paid vacation accrued annually (available after six months of employment); three weeks annual accrual after three years of employment; four weeks annual accrual after eight years of employment
PAID TIME OFF: Annually 6 days sick leave, 5 holidays and 4 personal days