Welcome to the 23-24 Season of the Tucson Symphony Orchestra! This season’s theme is Sharing Joy, and it is our hope that you feel joyous during your time with us. Whether you are a returning subscriber or a first-time attendee our goal is to make you feel welcome, comfortable, and invigorated by experiencing this season’s concert selections. Please enjoy this brief overview and season highlights guide!
Our Classic Series is the perfect introduction to a wide variety of timeless masterpieces alongside introductions to new works and artists. Each of the eight concerts held at the Linda Ronstadt Music Hall features a world-renowned guest conductor and/or soloist (see each concert for details). This series provides an in-depth immersion into the world of symphonic music, with an opportunity to learn more about the musical selections an hour before the show during Concert Comments.
Classic Series Concerts
- Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition | Sunday, September 24
- Pine and Fountains of Rome | Friday, October 20 & Sunday, October 22
- Ravel and Dvořák | Sunday, November 12
- Scottish Fantasy | Friday, December 1 & Sunday, December 3
- Ravel’s Boléro | Sunday, January 21
- Rachmaninoff’s Second | Friday, February 16 & Sunday, February 18
- Verdi’s Requiem | Friday, March 22 & Sunday, March 24
- Holst’s Planets | Friday, April 12 & Sunday, April 14
CLASSICS WITH A TWIST
Our new series Classics with a Twist bring a new and fresh experience to the Classic Series. Before each of the three concerts there will be fun activities, live music, and specialty cocktails and mocktails, as well as opportunities to socialize with fellow concert goers. After each concert we invite you to stay and have your questions answered by the artists themselves.
Classics with a Twist Concerts
- Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition | Friday, September 22
- Ravel and Dvořák | Friday, November 10
- Ravel’s Boléro | Sunday, January 21
Looking for a more intimate experience with familiar favorites like Beethoven’s Fourth? Our Masterworks concerts are the series for you! All five concerts in this series are held at the beautiful Catalina Foothills High School concert hall. We are particularly excited to share with you the solo debuts for two of the TSO’s outstanding principals: Dean Zhang and Hayato Tanaka, and to perform Jennifer Higdon’s Cold Mountain, co-commissioned by TSO.
Masterworks Series Concerts
- Copland’s Appalachian Spring | Saturday, October 7 & Sunday, October 8
- Mainly Mozart | Saturday, November 4 & Sunday, November 5
- Zhang Plays Mendelssohn | Saturday, January 6 & Sunday, January 7
- Haydn’s Symphony No. 104 | Friday, February 2 – Sunday, February 4
- Beethoven’s Fourth | Saturday, March 9 & Sunday, March 10
SPECIAL EVENTS (Super Pops and Specials are now Special Events!)
There is something for everyone in our Special Events concert category. The season includes everything from thrilling movies like this year’s Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark played on the big screen while your TSO performs John Williams’ epic score to some of the most iconic Broadway musical numbers and even cirque acrobatics set to timeless holiday classics. We’re even teaming up with Calexico for a one-night-only experience!
Special Events Concerts
- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Live in Concert | Saturday, October 14 &
Sunday, October 15
- Holiday Magic with Cirque de la Symphonie | Saturday, December 9 &
Sunday, December 10
- Messiah and Baroque Favorites | Saturday, December 16 & Sunday, December 17
- Ballet Tucson’s The Nutcracker | Thursday, December 21 – Saturday, December 23
- Calexico and the TSO | Saturday, January 13
- 100 Years of Rhapsody in Blue | Saturday, February 24 & Sunday, February 25
- She’s Got Soul! Featuring Capathia Jenkins | Saturday, March 16 & Sunday, March 17
- Broadway Legends | Saturday, April 6 & Sunday, April 7
- Charlie Chaplin’s City Lights | Saturday, April 20
If we had a category for extra-special events, this one-night-only concert would headline it! The incomparable and universally loved Yo-Yo Ma will close out our season with his performance of Saint-Saëns Cello Concerto. Without a doubt this transcendent concert will sell out.
- Yo-Yo Ma | Thursday, May 9
Often described as the “music of friends” our chamber music series provides our guests with the opportunity to home in on the “conversation” between each individual instrument. All four concerts are held at the Tucson Symphony Center and are performed by small ensembles. You especially don’t want to miss the concert featuring our artists in residence Ilmar Gavilán and Jamie Amador on October 28 and 29.
Up Close Concerts
- Ravel, Harp and the Sounds of France | Saturday, September 30 & Sunday, October 1
- Strings Without Borders | Saturday, October 28 & Sunday, October 29
- Bach and Mozart | Saturday, January 27 & Sunday, January 28
- Brass and Brahms | Saturday, March 2 & Sunday, March 3
JUST FOR KIDS
Our Just for Kids programs are a fun and exciting experience for the whole family! Filled with discovery and storytelling, our interactive ensemble concerts entertain, engage and educate our youngest listeners. Children are encouraged to dance and cheer along with TSO musicians!
Just for Kids Concerts